Sunday, July 4, 2010

Post 13 - Happy 4th of July, a quick carved monogram stamp, only seven days until my birthday...

Blogging my evolution as an artistic art educator - An art-based experiment...

HAPPY 4TH of JULY!

Love this picture of the kiddo in the Mount Washington parade last year, so I thought I'd share it with you all. I hope you all are staying cool. Swimming. Picnicking. And, making some art!

I also wanted to show you the quick carved monogram stamp I made for Josie, for her cards and paper crafts. Simple process which can apply to larger stamps as well. Basically, it's relief printing. There are recessed/carved shapes (no ink) and raised/non-carved shapes (inked), which make your image.

Consider simple from the start...

1). Transfer your line drawing done in dark graphite to a white plastic eraser (or a material from Speedball) by simply placing it face down on the surface and rubbing with your fingers, (it will be reversed, which is what you want).
2). Carve away (using an X-acto, or linoleum cutter, see above) what you DO NOT want to print.
3). Leave the shapes you DO want to print.
4). Take your time, be safe, and expect a "learning curve"!


My stamp for Josie - Pencil sketch, stamp, inked impression, and image on card


And, finally... Seven more days until I turn 43! I always look forward to the surprises that happen the two weeks before and after one's birthday. Anything can happen, and IS happening. Change is inevitable!

Safety, health, happiness, and peace... Pam

No comments: