Saturday, March 5, 2011

Post 48 - Earthworms and a hero project...

Blogging my evolution as an artistic art educator - An art-based experience...


OK... Strange topic pair, I know.

But, actually I am simply referring to the coming of Spring, and a project my kids completed a little while ago, and how I need to "look" at the world... especially now.

Earthworms, first...

According to Gail Wood, "The Farmers' Almanac names the Full Moon of March as Full Worm Moon, drawing from the Native American tribes of the Northeastern United States... As a totem, Earthworm tells us that no matter how small our efforts may seem, we are reshaping the world, creating new mixtures for growth and revitalization. They teach us to persevere and work hard and that we will accomplish our desires, move mountains, and create change."

I needed to "hear" this, really. Right now, things are tough, in ways I am sure you all understand, and in other ways for which you are unaware. Trust me... I needed to be reminded of the value of perseverance, and that my efforts are not in vain.

My tribute to the mighty little earthworm is this stamp I carved from an eraser...

I needed to make something. Lately, all I do is write. So, I enjoyed the few minutes it took to carve this little cutie out.

Then, I thought, maybe I could consider making a little series of monthly ATCs, just to commemorate the changing of the months, and have a bit of fun creating a series of twelve artist trading cards (ATCs, see glossary). So, I started the first, with the intention of adding words, color, and embellishments, once I decided how the series would tie together. (See below)... Next month... April!

Hero project, second...

The photo above and the one below are of envelope designs, completed for a project my Paper & Fiber Arts students did not to long ago. The first one (above) was my example, and the second one (below) was by a talented young lady, who went to another school recently, because her family moved. (I miss her. She is an original... She loves purple, and so do I!)

The project involved the students considering and researching persons whom they considered worthy of the title "Hero". They had to choose people who were well known enough to be considered by most people to be "iconic", yet not too recent in history.

The students had to discuss and defend three choices with me, including at least one quote a piece for each "iconic hero", which "spoke" to the student on some level. Then, they had to find good clear photos online, that could be copied and used for the central image, which would be created with a lacquer thinner transfer (chemical transfer made with a carbon copy, and lacquer thinner, in this case).

They then transferred their images to large business envelopes, gessoed in the backgrounds, added their typography (quote), and embellished their piece to meet their "vision".

We had an envelope for MLK, Joe Nuxall, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jordan, ACDC (a young man who recently lost his father chose his father's favorite band), Judy Garland, Aaron Copeland, Larry King, Jimmy Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Harriet Tubman, and more!

I thought, that since I feel like I could really use a hero, or two, right now... I would share this project with you all... Hope you enjoy the idea behind the project!...

Tell me... Who is your hero? And, why?... I want to know...



Safety, health, happiness, and peace... Pam

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Joe Nuxall! That's great. Heroes are hard. Many people have qualities I admire, but it's a stretch to call them heroes.I've always liked Dolly Parton because of her over-the-top look, generosity and authenticity, as well as her talent.

DrAnn said...

As a biologist, I am pleased you honored the humble earthworms- because of them, we continually get new soil... and like you are feeling now... after a hard rain,,,they feel like they are drowning and come to the surface littering the sidewalks.... I know you feel this drowning feeling per our conversations... but never fear you will return to the soil and continue the creation of making more rich earth through your teaching and art,

I am thrilled and surprised by your students' hero choices. I was sure I was going to see Rihanna, T.I., and not such wise choices as Billy Holiday, etc. What a wonderful assignment!!! You could create a book from their work artwork..... am art tribute of teens to the greats. If nothing else, call the paper again and have them feature these wonderful thoughts through art.

Diara Hiuri said...

Hi, I’m Diara hiuri...
I was a student who was researching earthworms. At first I thought no one who loved earthworms and make it as a unique art. I was really impressed with your work. Your work has provided motivation for me. The reason I liked the earthworm so much because of its role in nutrient cycles that took place in the soil. Earthworms have a major role in the decomposition process of organic matter that supplies nutrients that plants need in order to sustain the life of other living creatures. Besides earthworms also have the ability to improve critical land from pollution or other. In the health sector, earthworms also have a significant role for the treatment in the journal report. To be honest I still often feel amused with worms, but when I saw them moving around in the soil was so funny. And many people still think that earthworms only serves as a soil fertility without tau greater role do earthworms and also just know that earthworms are very useful for bait fishing for those who have a hobby of fishing ...
But maybe you already know this further than I ^^... And I think no one who considers earthworms as a hero for the earth, and for all life. In addition to researching earthworms, I also made a work related to earthworms in the form of pictures,,, I am very pleased to know people who also love earthworms, the hero of the earth, ha-ha-ha ... But I do not publish images that I created as you have done ...
I only just made the theme is, "Green Hero for the Green future". Probably a good thing if the worms in the soil became icons of nature conservation...
I hope we can exchange information about earthworms further...

Diara Hiuri said...

What the next hero?
^^