Saturday, February 26, 2011

Post 46 - Sharing a future art assignment... And, I am finally moving on to the Literature Review...

Blogging my evolution as an artistic art educator - An art-based experience...


First, after moving files around for some photo altering I did for my Paper and Fiber Arts students' altered book assignment (Yes, I will share... I plan to finish mine over the Saturday crop I am attending with my friend Lisa on the 12th. So, I can show you mine at least. The student work will follow.), I realized I had work I did in the Fall that I traded on line, that i had not posted, mainly because I was drowning in school and college work at the time.

A quick explanation... I decided that since I consider "real artists" to be those who risk, and if I, one, wanted to perceive myself more often as a "real artist", and two, expected my students to face risk in their artwork, I had to start risking more. So, over the Summer, I started to exchange artwork on line with the ladies on a site called Art 42. Some of the work I received was incredible, and some not so much. Let's leave it at that...

But, anyhow, this particular exchange was done with a group that really created wonderful pieces, and I loved every one I got in the mail. The pictures above and below are of my "List of 100 things that make me happy", which I turned into instant books, and housed in little coin envelopes. I am hoping to employ this idea in my classes, either this year or next. This past Fall, when we created Artist Trading Cards and exchanged them amongst the two classes of Paper and Fiber Arts students, they all had a ball doing the trades, and I believe really loved having the art of their friends. So, I can see this project going over very well too!



Second, I am finally feeling a tiny bit better about what a Literature Review actually consists of, and how to organize it. I guess I should have tried the faithful Internet from day one. Because, if I had I might not have procrastinated so much. My problem is I am a visual thinker. I can collect all sorts of information, but I don't know how to organize it. Heck, that's probably why I create incredible art lessons and I know why I do them, yet I am relatively horrible at putting it all down on paper.

Anyhow, I discovered a wonderful site reference on the net which is giving me a much clearer idea of how to organize all the stuff I have to organize. I was always crappy at research papers, and the Literature Review is like the research paper part of my project/paper... if that makes any sense.

I will definitely be sharing this site with others, because it really helped demystify the specifics, now that I am where I am in the process. HERE it is, if you are in a geeky mood, or simply want the 411 on what I am doing today and tomorrow...


Safety, health, happiness, and peace... Pam

3 comments:

Lucia said...

So this is kinda a huge document but i found that it had a lot of really great literature listings and summaries towards the end. This was assigned in my curriculum development in the arts class. Gives a good example of a literature review and also has lots of great material that might be relevant to your work.

http://www.aep-arts.org/publications/info.htm?publication_id=33

Lucia said...

Oh and I just found this site which looks really cool and totally something you'd be into
http://arted20.ning.com/

Unknown said...

Perhaps if you make an outline of the Literature and Writing part of your blog, it would help to fill in the ideas. Writing papers does not come easy to many including myself.

It's a great idea to have the students exchange their art, teacher included. Keep going.