Sunday, August 15, 2010

Post 30 - SKETCHY SUNDAY - Planning something for my students that will be very helpful, but will cause them great anxiety...

Blogging my evolution as an artistic art educator - An art-based experiment...



And, this DVD is the biggest clue to what they NEED, but won't be happy about. Alas, all of my students need and want to be better at drawing, and so I'm going to try a little experiment.

I am going to use this DVD with the very wise words and teachings (which I already use) to "prime the creative pump", as it were, in all of my classes this year. Drawing lessons to start the year, for everybody! (Not planning on grading based on how good they draw, just on their attitude, effort, and personal growth, creatively. Then, we move on in each subject from there. Should take a couple of weeks, that's all.)

All of them value drawing and drafting talent, but many of them have not gotten to the point where they have much faith in their own draftsmanship. That faith in their creative problem-solving and abilities is what I want them to gain, not a great drawing ability necessarily. Some will be able to draw very well, but others just need to know they CAN DRAW BETTER than they thought, thus giving them a little bit more of a self-esteem boost. This boost will in turn help them be better at whatever creative pursuit they follow, or as a matter of fact, life-pursuit, where problem-solving is involved.

Crossing my fingers! OK, Betty Edwards, do your magic...

Safety, health, happiness, and peace... Pam

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I always try to apply what you are writing about to my side of the artistic spectrum, and this is interesting, because I never thought about being able to learn to draw better, but I hear a lot of people who think they can't learn to sing better, which anyone can. I just never thought of drawing as a muscle to be trained, the way I think of singing. I'm sure they will all be psyched to see their improvement. I know all levels of singers are always amazed to see how they improve with training.